San Antonio Time Dollar Community Connections strives to create community, one hour at a time. The organization supports residents to help another and strengthen their families and community.
Time Dollar is a means of support for local communities and their residents based on an exchange of work and different skills. It is based on the concept that everyone has something to give and can become involved in a network of exchange. Each person's hour of work is traded in equal exchange with the next person's, though their talents and what they enjoy doing will vary. Time Dollars reward those who support their neighbors and their neighborhoods by giving them a time dollar for each hour of work put in.
Time Dollar work promotes resident empowerment and family strengthening with Making Connections-San Antonio in several ways:
- By promoting the utilization of Time Dollars for services in the community
- By partnering with Edgewood Family Network to help train residents to become Promotores de Buena Vida
- By participating on the West Side United Coalition, Time Dollar works with other community-based organizations as decision-makers forming a common Vision for the West Side
Key activities that Time Dollar supports in the community include:
- Precious Minds parenting classes
- Nutrition awareness and fitness instruction
- Food Stamp education
- Children’s Garden Workshops using Junior Master Gardener curriculum
- Spanish Literacy Classes
- Back to School Exchange for school supplies and uniforms
- Barrio Beautification Project
- El Jardin de La Esperanza Community Garden
For more information, please contact Steve Martinez, Time Dollar Coordinator, San Antonio Time Dollar Community Connections at (210) 433-9851.